We are named after the historical West Port gate which is Scotland’s best surviving example of a fortified gate and a great introduction to the medieval hearts of St Andrews. The West Port is one of the very few examples of a medieval city gate remaining in Scotland. Built in 1589 and renovated in 1843, it stands at the bottom of St Andrews’ South Street provides an imposing welcome to the town centre – just the effect its builders wished it to have, over 400 years ago.

2016-02-25T12:40:39+00:00